Walk grading uses the following system:
- Leisurely — for reasonably fit people with at least a little country walking experience. May include unsurfaced rural paths. Walking boots and warm, waterproof clothing are recommended.
- Moderate — for people with country walking experience and a good level of fitness. May include some steep paths and open country, and may be at a brisk pace. Walking boots and warm, waterproof clothing are essential.
- Strenuous — for experienced country walkers with an above average fitness level. May include hills and rough country, and may be at a brisk pace. Walking boots and warm, waterproof clothing are essential.
- Technical — for experienced and very fit walkers with additional technical skills. May require scrambling and use of ice axes or crampons.
Important additional advice
- Walk gradings are provided as a general guide only. Bear in mind the distance of the walk, regional differences in terrain and the possibility of bad weather, which can make a walk more difficult than planned.
- If you’re unsure of your fitness level, try a short and easy walk first – it’s much better to find a walk a little too slow and easy than to make yourself miserable and exhausted.